Friday, November 22, 2013

Weekly Update

Here is a review of our week: 
Phonics
Our sounds of the week: /ee/ and /or/. 
Sounds we know: s, a, t, i, p, n, ck, e, h, r, m, d, g, o, u, l, f, b, j, ai, oa, ie, ee, and or. 
Sounds for next week: /z/ 

Popcorn Words
 This week we learned: is, can, but.
We read books and poems that included out popcorn words. 
Words we know: a, I, it, in, see, big, my, like, up, run, at, on, we, me, am, did, not, is, can, but
Next week: to, too

Handwriting
In handwriting this week we practiced our numbers 7-9 and letter S.

Reading
During reading we read Thanksgiving themed stories including 10 Fat Turkeys, Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving, The Great Turkey Race, and Plump and Perky Turkey.

Vocabulary we have learned: creature, imitate, companion, explore, generous, nuisance, energetic, exhausted, soar, tangled, snooze, drowsy, pedestrian, passenger, eager, assortment, enjoy, gooey, container, scrumptious, whirl, scramble, determined, proud, snatch, furious, comfort, welcome, allow, frustrated, decide, practice, filthy, slam, concerned, moan, observe, enormous, patient, and scoop

We continued our poetry unit this week with the poem Five Little Turkeys.

The first turkey said, "What's this I hear?"

The second turkey said, "Watch me disappear."

The third turkey said, "I'll hide behind the tree."

The fourth turkey said, "They'll never catch me."

The fifth turkey said, "I think I'll run away."


"I don't want to be on a Thanksgiving tray!"

Math
We continued our numbers unit this week. This week we worked on finding and reading the number 13. We also searched our classroom for the number 13. We have been working hard at reading the teen numbers. These are very tricky numbers! We practiced counting up from 5 to make a number sentence such as 5 + ___ = 9. We played a game of identifying teen numbers. We formed numbers with play dough and worked on the computer. On the computer we played www.more.starfall.com. Our centers were turkey themed. We now are picking our math centers each day however we must go to all the centers by the end of the week.. We have enjoyed the freedom of picking the order of the centers and working with different friends each time.

Important Reminders
Scholastic book orders are due December 6th. This is a last minute flyer that went out. (If any books are being given as gifts please let me know so I can send them home in a nondescript way. We should hopefully have the books before Thanksgiving break, I can put one last order in right after break to get them before the Holiday break)

No School November 27th-29th.

 Box Tops due December 19th

Email me with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment